-=PCTechTalk=- Re: IMAP vs POP

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 22:13:49 -0400

Don,
    That's precisely what it's telling you.  Whatever you do to the messages
when offline will later be done to the messages that are sitting on the
server.  The prerequisite is that the email server must have support for
IMAP connections and not all of them do.  For those that have it, OE works
just fine, but I have no idea how well it's supported by Windows Mail or
whatever that "Live" thing is that they're now pushing on Vista users.

    I have a couple of portable apps that will allow you to POP messages to
your hard drive without necessarily deleting them off of the server.  It
would allow you to grab a hard copy of anything onto your drive while
leaving messages on the server so they can continue to be accessible in
other ways.  The thing is, you'll need to know ahead of time which messages
you wish to preserve and that means accessing them through another method
first, deciding on the ones you might want to copy to your drive and then
running the POP downloader to snag them before doing anything else with them
in the default method.  In other words, you'll be reviewing them one way,
grabbing them by another and finally dealing with them (reply, delete,
transfer, move, etc.) using the first way again.  It may be more work than
it's worth.  I use these types of apps for clients who cannot access their
email for one reason or another.  They allow me to download all of the
uncorrupted posts &/or delete any that refuse to budge.

Peace,
Gman