-=PCTechTalk=- Re: IE 9 and windows updates

  • From: "Walt Boswell" <chronicboz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 15:53:27 -0500

Thanks a lot, you good ladies you—Dorothy and Christy, angels for sure. Old
Boz (approaching the big 7-4) needs all the help, suggestions and/or
encouragement he can garner.

A few minutes ago, I downloaded Firefox. It is currently sitting in my
download file waiting, I assume, for me to work up the wherewithal to make
my move . All I can say is it’s a good thing I didn’t command a squad of
Marines on Mount Suribachi, Iwo Jima on February 24, 1945. If I had, I've
got an idea the Japanese would be the stars of that famous patriotic
flag-raising photo instead of  our guys.

I guess it takes one to know one--a Marine that is. Thanks for serving,
guys. You're the best.

Walt

Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:58 PM
To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: IE 9 and windows updates

Hi, Walt--
Firefox is a good browser, but you'll still need IE for Windows updates
etc....i.e. anything to do with Microsoft.

And when you install Firefox (if you haven't already) you will get an
opportunity to import all your bookmarks from IE....which helps make the
whole thing easier.  My suggestion would be to make Firefox your default
browser and try it out.  If for some reason you don't like it, just go to IE
and make *that* your default (somewhere in preferences I think--don't use it
anymore myself) and you're back in business with IE.  But I think you might
like Firefox.

Good luck,
Sr. Dorothy

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Walt Boswell
<chronicboz@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> May I ask one question, Christy? Did you make Firefox your default
> browser,
> and if so, did you experience any complications switching from one browser
> to the other after that? I would like to use Firefox as my default
> browser,
> but being the timid soul that I am when it comes to messing with the
> esoteric innards of the old Gateway, I haven’t yet worked up the nerve to
> take the big leap from one browser to the other or anywhere in-between.
> Would you have any encouraging Lady Macbeth-like words to share with the
> old
> man--that is to say, a “screw your courage to the sticking point” sort of
> "fire in the belly" message, or is it simply time to resurrect the great
> Gilda Radner and alter ego Emily Litella  for a truly timid, but
> imminently
> wiser,  “Never mind”.
>
> Walt

"unsubscribe" in the Subject.