-=PCTechTalk=- Re: I Want To Try Something A Little Different!!

  • From: gratchie <gratchie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 10:41:09 GMT

I just upgraded to windows xp but I am not happy with the=
 performance
of it.  seems like its much slower than my original setup with
win98se.  I have 152mb RAM and 30gig of hardisk space
(partitioned c: 20gig and d: 10gig). should I repartition the=
 20gig
c: drive for faster setup?  what is the recommended swapfile for=
 this
setup?  thanks

gratchie

>2.  If you don't have much RAM installed, consider adding more=
 (I
>suggest a
>total of 2-3 times the amount recommended on the Windows retail=
 box
>if you
>want to prevent additional programs from bogging down the=
 system).
>If you
>decide you're unable to do that for any reason (cost, lack of
>available
>memory slots, etc.), consider setting up a second partition just=
 for
>your
>swapfile to prevent it from ever becoming fragmented.  In most
>cases, I
>recommend setting up this partition to be 3 times the amount of=
 RAM