-=PCTechTalk=- Re: How many "Desktop"s is enough??

  • From: RMB White <roguer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 17:21:26 +1200

Much thanks indeed to Don !, Eddie B !, and Gman!

As each chunk of advice from these sage and learned gurus reaches me, it
onlyhighlights the woeful depth of my ignorance (which fortunately is being
stripped away layer by layer) though the overburden, including  my
comprehension is fearfully thick.

1. No I don't have any Utility for managing desktops, but

2. Yes the top of the Start button shows RMB White (I don't ever remember
creating this, but must have done so at some stage when I had got myself
intoanother pickle)

3. I have clicked on each of the other Desktops (Administarator, All Users,
Default User, then next in the C:\Docs and settings comes Local Service,
thenNetwork Service and finally RMB White) and all these other Desktops open
as a BLANK.....so we make progress !

4. However Administrator contains NO programs except a couple under Startup

5. All users contains NO programmes except the COMPLETE DECK of Programmes
under Startup

6. Default User contains a couple of Programmes under Startup and

7. All the  major contents of the computer are under R.M.B.White (except
thatunder IT'S Startup there is only Acronis, Administrative Tools,
Cooliris,EnditAll, Irfanview and Winderstat)

This means incredibly long pathways, e.g. "C:\Docs and Settings\R.M.B.
White\Desktop\My Documents\MY DOCUMENTS\Mozart in Salzburg".  Shouldn't it
just go "C:\Desktop\My Documents\......... ?? and if so, HOW do I reset
everything without falling flat on my face??

Please help.

Roger W
ps all this may have something to do with my continuing inability to make
thetouchpad work; and other gremlins.

On 19/08/2009 5:26 p.m., Gman wrote: Roger! If you click on the Start
button,you may be able to see the username that you're booted into right
there near the top of the main menu. I suspect that your normal bootup
doesn't bother asking you for your username &/or password. If that's the
case, then you are consistently booting into the same username each time and
we'll need more specific info on what you're seeing here. As a couple of
replies have mentioned, the Desktop.ini files contain various folder
customizations (some that you've set, some set by the OS). They are system
files and their removal will remove the customizations they represent. In
alllikelyhood, you will NOT like the results of their removal. I cannot
answer your last question without knowing much more about what we're really
talking about here. By default, the original Windows installation creates at
least two separate desktops. One is a part of the 'Default" user and is used
as a sort of template for any users added after that original install. The
other one is the primary Administrator account's Desktop. This is a part of
the Admin account that is needed to make certain modifications to a system
inthe event that all additional users are set to Limited accounts. If,
duringthe original install, you create an account for yourself, this will
create a third Desktop that is specifically a part of your personal account,
regardless of whether you create it as a limited account or one with Admin
privileges. Since I always set up my own Gman account on the XP systems I
install for myself, every one of them has these three Desktop folders found
within the main Documents &Settings folder. If that somewhat mirrors what
you're seeing, then what you're seeing is 'normal'. On the other hand, if
you, at some point, had added additional users and now want to remove them,
let us know that and we'll walk you through the steps to reclaim whatever
maybe stored within them before giving them the 'other' boot. Peace, Gman
http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php[1] "The entire future of humankind
is yet to be written" ----- Original Message ----- From: "RMB White"
<roguer@xxxxxxxxxx>[2] To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>[3] Sent: Tuesday,
August 18, 2009 4:28 AM Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: How many "Desktop"s is
enough?? Greetings Gman ! and Eddie B, and thanks for yr invaluable advice.
However, I do not KNOW which account I have booted into, and sometimes it's
different depending on which boot I am wearing. Is it REALLY NECCESSARY for
me to have all these different Desktops?? and if not, how do I delete all
except ONE (without deleting the stuff recorded under the others??) Roger W.
separate PCTableTalk off-topic group, send a blank email to:
pctabletalk+subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[10]
8.5.392 / Virus Database: 270.13.58/2305 - Release Date: 08/15/09 18:10:00

--- Links ---
   1 http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php
   2 mailto:roguer@xxxxxxxxxx
   3 mailto:pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx