-=PCTechTalk=- Re: How many "Desktop"s is enough??

  • From: "recklessmaverick@xxxxxxxxxx" <recklessmaverick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:17:31 -0400

1 Reboot the computer
2 Select a user at the Welcome screen or the Logon screen whichever your
system uses.
3 When boot is completed change the desktop wallpaper and make a note of
which user it is and which wallpaper is being used.
4 Reboot the computer.  Repeat steps 2 & 3. logging on as a different
user.  Repeat until all users have been logged on and notes made as to
the wallpaper used.  Use a different wallpaper for each user.

Now it should be easy to determine which boot you are wearing and if
strange or unusual desktops appear.

You should have a desktop for the following users:

1.  Administrator.  Which you may have renamed.  This can be the only
user account.
2.  User without administrator privileges.  This is recommended for your
day to day use, but many just go with Administrator.
3.  Additional users with or without Admin privileges such as Guest,
Wife, Mistress, Boyfriend etc.  The guest account comes as standard
equipment with XP but can be hidden from view.

Any users that are not needed or wanted can be removed.  To save any
data created by users you want to remove, find it (typically in My
Documents) and back it up to a folder under a user you will keep or to
some other safe location.

Don

RMB White wrote:
>  Greetings Gman ! and Eddie B,
> and thanks for yr invaluable advice.
>
> However, I do not KNOW which account I have booted into, and sometimes it's
> different depending on which boot I am wearing.
>
> Is it REALLY NECCESSARY for me to have all these different Desktops?? and if
> not, how do I delete all except ONE (without deleting the stuff recorded
> under the others??)
>
> Roger W.

in the Subject.