-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Help with updating XP Pro

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 18:28:04 -0400

Sandy,
    The Express option allows Windows Update (WU) to install ALL critical
updates in the order that it deems best.  From what you're showing here, it
feels that a single update neds to be installed all by itself before it
looks for any others you might need (and we know that there are a bunch of
them waiting behind this one).

    The Custom option allows you to pick and choose among all of the
critical updates that are currently available for your system.  Only
critical updates that apply to what's already installed will be included in
the list that it will present to you if you select this option, but you
won't get any advice on the best order for installing them.  As you can see,
it REALLY wants you to install SP3.  That's because SP3 contains some really
important security fixes that can only be obtained through that pack.

    This screen is telling you that you already have all of the updates
required before installing SP3, so you're as ready for it as you're ever
going to be.  So, I would select the first option here since it is only
offering SP3 as a single, standalone update.  After the update installs and
the computer is rebooted, it won't be long before WU comes up again and
offers you the updates that have been released since SP3 came out.

Peace,
Gman