-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Help With Update That Popped Up

If it makes you feel any better, I read that page several times trying to
wrap my brain around everything they're trying to tell us.  For some reason,
they've chosen to speak more geek than usual and they failed to relate this
'solution' to the issue it's designed to help fix.  I got the rest of my
info by searching for related items online.

What I can tell you is that there's at least one nasty worm and several
viruses that have been going around that uses Autorun in order to spread.
The worm has tremendous potential to become one of the top worldwide
infections of all time, so the entire internet commmunity (including
Microsoft) has been working together to put up walls to neutralize it.  A
large part of that effort is the disabling of the autorun feature.

Below is an excerpt from another advisory that explains the concept without
so much geek-speak.  I suggest anyone with questions should read through the
Frequently Asked Qeustions section of this advisory to help clear up some of
the confusion.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/967940.mspx
OR
http://tinyurl.com/bcntls

***************************
Update for Windows Autorun

Published: February 24, 2009

Microsoft is announcing the availability of an update that corrects a
functionality feature that can help customers in keeping their systems
protected. The update corrects an issue that prevents the NoDriveTypeAutoRun
registry key from functioning as expected.

When functioning as expected, the NoDriveTypeAutoRun registry key can be
used to selectively disable Autorun functionality (e.g. AutoPlay, double
click, and contextual menu features associated with Autorun) for drives on a
user's system and network. Disabling Autorun functionality can help protect
customers from attack vectors that involve the execution of arbitrary code
by Autorun when inserting a CD-ROM device, USB device, network shares, or
other media containing a file system with an Autorun.inf file.

We encourage Windows customers to review and install this update. This
update is available through automatic updating and from the download center.
For more information about this issue, including download links for this
non-security update, see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 967715.

Finally, here is an article that explains the reason for going through all
of this in the first place.  It describes how autorun works and why it's a
threat to your system under certain circumstances.

http://www.windowssecrets.com/2007/11/08/02-One-quick-trick-prevents-Autorun-attacks
OR
http://tinyurl.com/a8o44u

Peace,