-=PCTechTalk=- Re: HP won't load Windows XP

  • From: dktrfaustus@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:51:33 +0100

On 13 Apr 2005 at 5:43, Randy Hibdon wrote:
> I tried removing the CD but then it says it can not find windows on
> any drive. I formatted the HD with NTFS.

Did you format through the XP CD's installation routine and select
'Full Format'?

If it's a single-HD system, the first thing after formatting the
drive should be for the installation program to make it bootable.
Exactly how far into the installation do you get before it reboots?

If you can verify that the HD is bootable and error-free you may have
to take this problem up with HP, or whoever sold you the installation
CD.

This is one of those situations where an XP or Partition Magic boot
disc comes in handy. Unfortunately, it seems that the guy at
www.bootdisk.com is now asking for donations before you can get your
hands on one. If anyone has alternate links for free XP boot CDs,
please pass them on.

Faustus

P.S. Be sure to make sure that your XP CD and drive tray are clean,
by wiping them with a non-abrasive, clean cloth. I've heard of read
errors halting the installation process and prompting early reboots.