-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Gateway Question

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:36:50 -0500

Steve,
    The only way to go from a newer OS to an older one would be to wipe the
drive (format) and then install Win98SE from CD.  The use of RDRAM makes the
RAM issue even tougher, but that's not a big deal if you get the system
working with a more appropriate OS for that hardware.  Just keep in mind
that Win98SE is no longer supported by MS.  That means we've already
received all of the critical updates (security patches) that we're going to
get from them.  I'll see if I can get some info for you from the chipset ID,
but that label doesn't tell me much.  We'll see what comes up.

Peace,
GMan
http://reddit.com
"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"