-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Fw: [His_Helping_Hands] Yahoo and privacy!

This has been circulating around the internet for a while now.  Yahoo does
indeed use web beacons as described in their TOS and the instructions to
block the web beacons are also provided.

What is not made perfectly clear is that a cookie is required on your
computer to keep them disabled and a different cookie is required for each
browser that you use.  So if you use FireFox, Mozilla and Internet Explorer
you will need three different cookies on your computer.  Also, these cookies
must be protected from such utilities as CleanUp, Ad-a-ware and Spy Bot or
they will be deleted and you have to go through the blocking process all
over again.

Now comes the big question....

Is the Yahoo the only website you visit that does this?  Of course not.  But
have you read all the TOS and privacy policies on all the websites you visit
to find out for certain?  Of course not... very few people read those
documents and very few that do understand all the legal gobblety-gook in
them.

I would suggest that Yahoo, Google, MSNBC, CNN and most other large,
reputable firms are probably pretty safe with certain data about your
internet habits and do not connect that data to personally identifiable data
such as your name and address or account numbers.  For that reason, I simply
delete all of my cookies and all the other usual stuff  frequently and I
have disabled external items in html email.  I also sometimes use false
names and throwaway email addresses.

Don