-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Formatting External HDD

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 20:05:05 -0400

Sandy,
A.    You're not a dunce!  The drive is just acting VERY strange.  These
infernal contraptions are like that from time to time.

B.    You're not monopolizing my time.  I'm working on several major
projects here on my own system, plus I look after several other groups to
which I belong and they've been hitting me with lots of questions lately.
I'll be here to help you through whatever you need as long as you don't give
up.

    It IS simple, but I guess I left out one important step (that I never
suspected would be needed).  When the contents of a volume (drive letter)
are showing in the right pane of Explorer, my experience is that Windows
will consider that drive 'in use' and will refuse to run CHKDSK on it.  In
your case, Windows is not doing that for some strange reason.

    So, with the drive contents showing in that right pane, right click on a
blank area of that right pane and select New > Wordpad Document.  You'll see
a new file appear already highlighted.  Press Enter two times to open it and
then click on the Minimize button to get it out of the way.  Windows now has
a great reason to not just launch right into a scan of that volume and you
should most definitely get the results you're expecting.

    If it still tries to go right into it, we'll know that something is
really wrong with the partition.  You will then need to reboot and then come
back here and let me know.  I'll then take you through the steps to do a low
level format of the drive.

    Oh, and why not just Copy the Windows Explorer shortcut to your desktop
or to your QuickLaunch bar (drag it with the right mouse button and select
"Copy Here" when you get to the new location)?  It'll save you from having
to hunt it down through the Start menu.        :O)

Peace,
Gman