-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Fonts Tutorial

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 20:34:30 -0400

Whew!  When you get on a roll, ....            hehehe

    If the shortcuts refer to a font in the C:\Windows folder, it's very
possible that you can get rid of the shortcuts simply by dragging those
fonts over to the Fonts folder.  However (there's always a 'however', isn't
there?  In this case, there's two of them.      lol),

    First, rather than just drag them (which will actually Move them out of
their present home where the app that put them there expects them to be),
use the Right mouse button to drag them so that you get that "Move, Copy,
Create Shortcut" menu when you let go.  When that menu comes up, choose Copy
and see how the shortcuts react to the process.  If it offers to replace
them with the original fonts you're copying, great.  If it doesn't ask you,
then they will both be in there.

    Secondly, the app set things up so that the fonts it uses are already
using the shortcut trick that you're trying to set up for other fonts.  If
you just leave them alone, you'll already have them working just like your
IN USE folder's future contents.  So, this gives you a choice to ponder.  If
you leave them alone, you'll have them already set up for use without adding
to the system resources burdon of having the actual fonts in the Fonts
folder.  This is a fine decision to settle on if you really like those
particular fonts.  If you're not crazy about one or more of them, try the
Copy thing to see if it eliminates the shortcuts.  If it works (you're able
to replace each shortcut with the actual font), then you can Move the actual
font from within the Fonts folder to the XTRA folder.  Even if you DO like
one or more of them, you may wish to try this anyway, and eventually Move
the actual font to the IN USE folder (where you will later be creating
shortcuts).  This would provide the benefit of having all of your fonts in
the same place.

    Any and all of the fonts you find inside of your old backup are fair
game.  They were put there by the apps you used during THAT Windows install,
so nothing in the registry should be pointing to them there.  Just be aware
that many of them will be duplicates of fonts you are moving to the XTRA
folder from THIS Windows install.  If the 'Moving' process complains that a
file already exists, do you want to replace it, first check the file sizes
and version numbers (if available in the querry box).  If they are the same,
choose No.  This file can be safely deleted when you're through.  If they
are different, write down the exact full name of the font and THEN choose
No.  The idea here is to never overwrite one file with another.  That tenet
will prevent an older version of a font from overwriting a newer version of
the same font (or keeping a different font altogether that happens to use
the same name from being replaced).

    When you complete this moving procedure on a batch of these "backup"
fonts (or when you're finished trying to Move all of them), go into your
backup Fonts folder and slightly rename the fonts inside your old backup
that made it to your written list of 'different ones'.  The rename should
probably be in the form of adding a number to the end of the filename.  For
example, Ariel.TTF would become Ariel(1).TTF.  Immediately after renaming a
file, Move it to your XTRA folder and then move onto the next one on your
written list.  When you've completed all of those, delete the entire backup
Font folder.  At this point, everything in there is already also in your
XTRA folder.

    It's a bit different for other fonts you find scattered about your
system.  If it is part of anything currently installed, I would only Copy it
to your XTRA folder.  This way you won't be doing anything that might
confuse Windows or a current;y installed app the next time you try to use
the app that put them there.  If the font is inside a folder for an app that
is no longer installed (such as programs inside your old backup), feel free
to Move the font(s) to the XTRA folder.  Since they are from an old app that
will never be run from that location again, they are not attached to
anything, let alone their old font collections.  Oh, and Yes, you CAN do all
of this right from within the Search results window.  You'll also need
another Explorer window open to the Windows Fonts folder.  Maximize the
Fonts folder and then resize the Search Results window so the you can easily
try Moving the files from one to the other.  Also keep in mind that you
cannot Move a file from a folder to the Search window since the results list
is not an actual folder.

    Of course, if any of the above causes more questions than it solves,
give a yell BEFORE you proceed.       :O)

Peace,
GMan

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"