-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Fonts Tutorial

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 22:24:11 -0400

Sandi,
    At the risk of sounding indifferent to your plight (something of which I
am never guilty), I'm sitting here giggling like a little schoolboy.  I
honestly don't mean to belittle your suffering, but this is exactly why I go
to such great lengths (and hand cramps) to provide every little detail in
proper order in order to come as close as humanly possible to guaranteeing
your success.  You're not the first person who has decided to ignore some of
the specific steps I've outlined in a tutorial and I'm sure you won't be the
last.

    To help you climb out of this mess, here's all you need to do (nutshell
version):

1.    Using Windows Explorer, get ALL of your fonts Moved into their
respective My Documents storage folders (All & In Use).  The original
Windows fonts should only be copied there instead (leave the originals in
the Windows Font folder).  If necessary, run a search over your entire
collection of hard drives & partitions for the missing one.  If you still
can't find it, give a yell and maybe someone will send it to you.  All of
your fonts MUST then remain where you put them or you will break their
shortcuts.

2.    Delete every shortcut you find in the Windows Fonts folder.  No
Exceptions!  This will eliminate the possibility of any remaining broken
ones.

3.    Select all of the files in the In Use folder, right drag them to the
Windows Fonts folder and select Create Shortcut from the menu.

4.    If at any time in the future you choose to move or remove a font from
your In Use folder, you will also need to delete its shortcut from the
Windows Font folder.  If you choose to add a font to the In Use folder, you
will have to create a shortcut to it in the Windows Font folder before you
can use it like the others.

Peace,
GMan

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"