-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Eudora

  • From: Robert Carneal <carnealr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 13:27:31 -0500

Well, I am not sure how will you will like this, but here goes. My

<Copy>At 11:39 AM 9/20/2003, you wrote:
>At 9/20/2003 11:36 AM, Robert Carneal wrote:
> >1> If you are using Eudora Lite, I don't think it is possible to re-order
> >the sequence Who, Date, Subject. I am using Eudora Pro, but away from my
> >office where my Eudora manual is. I *think*  in Eudora Pro, not only can
> >you choose which headers you want to see in the Header Pane, you can choose
> >its order.
>
>Yes, the order. That's what I need. I do have the paid version, but its
>version 5.2.0.9. Trying to simply drag the header titles doesn't work. If
>you can try on your version, and confirm it works, I would most surely
>upgrade to version 6.
[[[I I tried it. I +can+ change the order, but just for the current
session. When I close Eudora and open it later, the order is back to its
original setting. Since I am able to change it all, I am sure there is a
way to make "stick," but I have no idea which file and which setting would
need to be change to do so. I would rather not "guess."]]]

> >2> The preview pane is a slightly smaller window- and can't show much.
> >Again (sorry) in Eudora Lite I don't think you have many choices. May I
> >make a suggestion? Why not forget the preview pane? Just turn that option
> >off. Some viruses can be activated when the email is opened in a preview
> >pane it's got you.
>
>The preview pane is very important to me. The number of emails I go through
>daily is enormous, and constantly double-clicking each and every email to
>read it is a no-go for me. As a matter-of-fact, the feature is so
>important, that I would choose a different client over not using a preview
>pane.
[[[Since it is that important to you, by all means use it. I wish I had
Eudora 5 on CD so I could check this feature for you. I have Eudora 4.0 on
CD, bought an upgrade to 5.0, and eventually bought upgrade to 6.0. In my
Eudora 6.0, I was not able to add the FROM field. Eudora developers may
have thought they were helping the user by not doing this, since the user
could see the FROM in the header above. It was just that little less coding
they had to do. If your +only+ reason for upgrading to Eudora 6.0 is to see
the FROM in the preview pane, save your money and don't get it.

 >3> You are not doing anything wrong. In Eudora Pro under TOOLS, there two
> >options- one is Task Status, and the other is Task Errors. Those will allow
> >you to control what you hear, what you see, and what to do about it.
>
>The Task Errors I solved. I had to go into the INI file, and add a function
>to stop it from disappearing on me. It was clearing everytime the mail had
>finished downloading.
>
> >A word of caution- I am using Eudora Pro 6 with thrid party add-ins. Our
> >customization of Eudora may be different.
>
>Regarding plugins, are any of them free? And, where can I obtain them from?

They are not free. me of them (these were free) came from:
http://email.about.com/cs/eudoraplugins/
I am using Spamnix, the auto removal of the ">", etc.

NOT free:
Eudora Filter Organizer (I think it was about 12.99) I hated to pay for
this, but since part of my work is email tech support, I get email in the
tens of thousands daily. This filter organizer helps me to keep my filters
straight. I didn't include a link for this one because the link I have for
it is dead- it looks as if that company was dissolved or bought out and the
product not supported.

Comparing Eudora to OE: The +big+ reason I like Eudora is Eudora's code is
not available nearly as easily as OE's is. With everyone able to get a copy
of the code for OE, its vulnerabilities are exposed, and can be attacked
more easily.

Speaking of Eudora 6.0, it has new feature called "Junk." Under the MESSAGE
menu, "Junk" is an option where you can click it, and whichever email you
have highlighted from that point on, you won't see it. I have my "Junk" set
to auto-delete. That is a good tool to use on all those Microsoft.com email
that is prevalent right now. I think Eudora 6.0, while larger, is more stable.

Robert