-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Erase hard drive

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 18:53:49 -0800

Hi Cristy,
in addition to wiping the hard drive, I unistall,
or provide a CD of one of the free Linux OS's
on the computer when I give them away
on Freecycle.

Hint: burn a copy of one of the Linux that will
run from the CD,
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
 and try booting the computer
from it before erasing the hard drive so that
you know that version is compatible with the
computer driver wise.

I order the Free UBUNTU CD's
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
and give them away with the computers.

I think UBUNTU is the OS on Walmart Linux
computers.
From Google:
Wal-Mart Stocks Ubuntu
Posted on November 2, 2007 by joepan
It=92s another small step for Linux on the desktop, and another great leap=
 for Ubuntu =97 one of the fastest-growing flavors of Linux. Retail giant=
 Wal-Mart is now offering Ubuntu-based PCs from Everex. The $200 system=
 signals growing interest in Windows alternatives among mainstream=
 consumers. Next up, watch for Ubuntu to land on some niche small business=
 servers.
allaboutubuntu.wordpress.com/

If your BIOS can be set to boot from USB device
you can install the OS on a USB drive and run
from it.

I picked up a couple of the 1gig flash drives last
week on sale for $9.88 each.

Mike the mod