-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Electronic Print Buffer

  • From: Jim <n1jmm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 12:28:08 -0400

Robert, this is a fine task for an old PC, just set up an old machine
with all the printers you want, use a large enough hdd, put in a fair
amount of memory, load up windows98(se if you need USB support), put it
on the network and let it run, turn off the monitor and leave it run. If
you are on dialup you might as well give it the dialup function too and
let it serve the internet for you, just install ICS on it. I know you
said multiple printers, you can easily get 3 parallel ports on a pc, I
know in the old days you could buy interface cards with 4, 8, 12, or 16
parallel ports, and now you can add more by using USB to centronics
adapters just be careful to get adapters that handle bi-directional
comm's for the printers that need that.

Another option is to attach all printers through a network interface
device, simple enough just more costly.

Of course you ARE using the print spooler built into windows, right?

I wonder if there is a windows power off feature to shut the machine off
when done spooling to the printers. You might try a search using your
favorite search engine for this.

Granted a small printer buffer box might be quieter and use less
electricity, however they are harder to find for a resonable price.

-Jim-