-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Earthlink DSL

  • From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:19:49 -0500

Hank-
You will have to have some sort of PPPoE adapter listed under your Network
adapters.  This is a virtual adapter.  There is one built into Windows
XP.  The Network Telsystems is the common one for Earthlink.  You can also
use WinPOET.  The one thing you DON'T have to install is all the Earthlink
software.  Just installing the PPPoE client will be enough to get connected
and will put less load on your system, especially if you're running an
older system with Win98.

I just popped in the latest Earthlink CD I can find on my desk and there is
a %cd drive%\Windows\WinPOET folder.  Just double click the setup.exe file
in that folder.

If you reinstall the Earthlink program, it will reinstall the PPPoE
adapter, whichever one is on the CD.

Tom