-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Earthlink DSL

  • From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 00:45:40 -0500

Hank-
I would check the manual to see if the Sync light is supposed to be steady
green.  If it is and yours is yellow, you may not have sync, in which case
you'll not have DSL.  Oftentimes the DSL kits will arrive before the line
is fully ready for the DSL.  The local phone company, which handles all the
physical equipment, may not have gotten to your number yet.  When you call
tech support, ask them what the lights should be if it's not explained in
the manual.

Since you have Win98, you will need the PPPoE client but that is often a
separate folder on the CD and can be installed by itself.  It will create a
connection just like setting up a dial-in icon, rather than installing the
entire software package.

Tom