-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Dial Up Connection

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 19:04:51 -0400

Sandi,
    Try replacing the phone cord that runs from the modem to the wall.  If
that doesn't help, see if there are any updated drivers for the modem.

    The pings and voice you're hearing indicate that your modem's speaker
finally kicked on for some odd reason.  The voice was a bad connection where
the modem tried calling the number and the connection didn't go through.  As
far as the phone company is concerned, this is not just a dial-up phone
line.  As long as there's a dial tone, you could easily connect a phone to
it and use it to make regular calls (and all dial-up modems require dial
tone).  The recording came on to tell you that the call could not be
completed, but your modem has no clue what to do with that info.

    I also agree completely with the tech that the upgrades should have no
effect on the connection, although it's still possible that it's maybe
perhaps somewhat related by unknown or little understood proxy.