-=PCTechTalk=- Re: DSL

  • From: David F Wooledge <wooledge001@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 00:07:41 -0400

The method you discuss is what I tried, however my DSL kept getting
dropped.  Verizon suggested putting a dual adaptor right into the jack I
want my modem plugged into.  Then they had me put the filter right into
one of the jacks and run whatever I wanted for the voice line from the
filter.  This includes the dual up modem which I use for faxes and modem
to modem connections.  The phone comes out of the out jack on the dial up
modem.  I have had very few times of dropped DSL since I did this.  A
reason I like to have the filters inside and at each jack in the house is
that I can move the computer to any room with a jack, by removing the
filter or plugging in a dual adaptor and plugging in the DSL modem.  I do
this with the laptop a lot.  I think if the filter was in the box outside
I would have to have the DSL line moved if I want to change rooms where I
want to use the DSL.  Clear??
Dave

------------------------------

From: The Keyboard Cowboy <KBCowboy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 22:19:07 -0700
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: DSL

I agree with most of this but offer a couple of extra points.  Sorry
to take so long to reply but I've just returned from a hiking trip to
the Grand Canyon, Sedona, etc., in Arizona.  I'm back in Scottsdale
now.

First, while a phone works on just two lines, most all modern phone
connections have four wires, and new installations often have six
now.  Each phone line (number) in your home uses two wires as Rob
suggested.  If you only have one line (number), then you only use two
of the wires provided.  If you have two lines, you use all four
wires.

The filter works as described.........but you can use a filter at the
D-Mark.  The D-Mark is the connection where your line from the
outside is connected to a "block" and then all your lines inside the
house go from there.  For most phone companies, they say they own
everything from the street to the D-Mark, and the home owner is
responsible for everything beyond the D-Mark.  Rather than have
multiple filters for each separate phone, or phone wire in your
house, you can put a filter on at  the D-mark and have it work on all
phones.  If you use DSL, and only have one phone line in use at your
house, a good way to set it up is to run a single wire (actually two
wires) directly from the D-Mark to the room where your modem is.
Then place a filter, after the connection for the DSL modem but
before all other phone connections or wires for phone connections.
I hope this is clear.   I did this in my own home and substantially
improved my connection speed.  I'm running about 630 kbps and that's
very, very good for DSL in my city.

Regards from the
"Keyboard Cowboy",

     ,,,,,,,,