-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Could someone be using my email?

  • From: "cris" <cris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:26:37 -0500

The spammers are probably infected with it!! so their spam system is sending to
everyone.
horrid thought, huh?
CRis
From: May be a spoofed from address

Subject:
(one of the following)
. test
. hi
. hello
. Mail Delivery System
. Mail Transaction Failed
. Server Report
. Status
. Error

Message:
(one of the following)
. Mail transaction failed. Partial message is available.
. The message contains Unicode characters and has been sent as a binary
attachment.
. The message cannot be represented in 7-bit ASCII encoding and has been
sent as a binary attachment.
. test

(one of the following)
. document
. readme
. doc
. text
. file
. data
. test
. message
. body

Notes:
. The attachment may have two suffixes. If so, the first suffix will be one
of the following:
o .htm
o .txt
o .doc
. The worm will always end with one of the following suffixes:
o .pif
o .scr
o .exe
o .cmd
o .bat
o .zip (This is an actual .zip file that contains a copy of the worm,
sharing the same file name as the .zip. For example, readme.zip can contain
readme.exe.)
. If the worm has an extension of .exe or .scr, the file will be displayed
with the following icon; otherwise it will use the icon appropriate to the
corresponding file type.

9. Copies itself to the Kazaa download folder as one of the following files:
. winamp5
. icq2004-final
. activation_crack
. strip-girl-2.0bdcom_patches
. rootkitXP
. office_crack
. nuke2004

with a file extension of:
. .pif
. .scr
. .bat
. .exe

Intruder Alert
Symantec has released the Intruder Alert 3.6 W32_Novarg_Worm Policy.

Symantec HIDS 4.1.1
Symantec released a LiveUpdate package on January 27, 2004 for users of
Symantec HIDS 4.1.1. See the Symantec Host IDS 4.1.1 Security Update 1 for
additional information.

Symantec ManHunt
Security Update 17 has been released to provide signatures specific to the
backdoor activity associated with the W32.Novarg.A@mm Worm.

In addition, Symantec ManHunt 2.2/3.0/3.01 customers can apply the following
signature to detect the attempted DoS against www.sco.com. This DoS will
start occurring on February 1, 2004. On February 12, 2004 the worm has a
trigger date to stop spreading. This signature will help in determining from
which machines the request is being made.

*******************start file********************

alert tcp any any -> any 80 (msg:"W32_Novarg_SCO_DOS"; content:"GET /
HTTP/1.1|0d0a|Host: www.sco.com|0d0a0d0a|"; offset:0; dsize:37;)

*************EOF*********************

For more information on creating custom signatures, refer to the "Symantec
ManHunt Administrative Guide: Appendix A Custom Signatures for HYBRID Mode."

Symantec Security Response encourages all users and administrators to adhere
to the following basic security "best practices":
. Turn off and remove unneeded services. By default, many operating systems
install auxiliary services that are not critical, such as an FTP server,
telnet, and a Web server. These services are avenues of attack. If they are
removed, blended threats have less avenues of attack and you have fewer
services to maintain through patch updates.
. If a blended threat exploits one or more network services, disable, or
block access to, those services until a patch is applied.
. Always keep your patch levels up-to-date, especially on computers that
host public services and are accessible through the firewall, such as HTTP,
FTP, mail, and DNS services.
. Enforce a password policy. Complex passwords make it difficult to crack
password files on compromised computers. This helps to prevent or limit
damage when a computer is compromised.
. Configure your email server to block or remove email that contains file
attachments that are commonly used to spread viruses, such as .vbs, .bat,
.exe, .pif and .scr files.
. Isolate infected computers quickly to prevent further compromising your
organization. Perform a forensic analysis and restore the computers using
trusted media.
. Train employees not to open attachments unless they are expecting them.
Also, do not execute software that is downloaded from the Internet unless it
has been scanned for viruses. Simply visiting a compromised Web site can
cause infection if certain browser vulnerabilities are not patched.

Removal using the Removal Tool
Symantec Security Response has developed a removal tool to clean the
infections of W32.Novarg.A@mm. This is the preferred method in most cases.

Manual Removal
Perform a manual removal if you cannot obtain the tool.

The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec
antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus
product lines.
1. Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
2. Update the virus definitions.
3. Restart the computer in Safe mode or VGA mode.
4. Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as
W32.Novarg.A@mm.
5. Delete and modify the value that was added to the registry.
For specific details on each of these steps, read the following
instructions.

1. Disabling System Restore (Windows Me/XP)
If you are running Windows Me or Windows XP, we recommend that you
temporarily turn off System Restore. Windows Me/XP uses this feature, which
is enabled by default, to restore the files on your computer in case they
become damaged. If a virus, worm, or Trojan infects a computer, System
Restore may back up the virus, worm, or Trojan on the computer.

Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from
modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot
remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has
the potential of restoring an infected file on your computer, even after you
have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations.

Also, a virus scan may detect a threat in the System Restore folder even
though you have removed the threat.

For instructions on how to turn off System Restore, read your Windows
documentation, or one of the following articles:
. "How to disable or enable Windows Me System Restore"
. "How to turn off or turn on Windows XP System Restore"

Note: When you are completely finished with the removal procedure and are
satisfied that the threat has been removed, re-enable System Restore by
following the instructions in the aforementioned documents.

For additional information, and an alternative to disabling Windows Me
System Restore, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article, "Antivirus Tools
Cannot Clean Infected Files in the _Restore Folder," Article ID: Q263455.

2. Updating the virus definitions
Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality
assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to
obtain the most recent virus definitions:
. Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions:
These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week
(usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To
determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate,
refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate).
. Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent
Updater virus definitions are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through
Friday). You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security
Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether
definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer
to the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).

The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available: Read "How to update
virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater" for detailed
instructions.

3. Restarting the computer in Safe mode or VGA mode

Shut down the computer and turn off the power. Wait for at least 30 seconds,
and then restart the computer in Safe mode or VGA mode.
. For Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000, or XP users, restart the computer in Safe
mode. For instructions, read the document, "How to start the computer in
Safe Mode."
. For Windows NT 4 users, restart the computer in VGA mode.

4. Scanning for and deleting the infected files
a. Start your Symantec antivirus program and make sure that it is configured
to scan all the files.
. For Norton AntiVirus consumer products: Read the document, "How to
configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
. For Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise products: Read the document, "How to
verify that a Symantec Corporate antivirus product is set to scan all
files."
b. Run a full system scan.
c. If any files are detected as infected with W32.Novarg.A@mm, click Delete.

5. Deleting and modifying the value from the registry

WARNING: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before
making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in
permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read
the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry," for
instructions.

a. Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
b. Type regedit

Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)
c. Navigate to each of these keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
d. In the right pane, delete the value:

"Taskmon"="%System%\taskmon.exe"

Note: %System% is a variable that refers to the location of the System
folder. By default, this is C:\Windows\System (Windows 95/98/Me),
C:\Winnt\System32 (Windows NT/2000), or C:\Windows\System32 (Windows XP).

e. Delete the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Explorer\ComDlg32\Version
f. Delete the key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Explorer\ComDlg32\Version
g. Navigate to the key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{E6FB5E20-DE35-11CF-9C87-00AA005127ED}\InProcServer3
2

Note: There are numerous CLSID keys. An easy way to get to these is to use
the Registry Editor's Find function. First, navigate to the top of the left
pane and select the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT key. Then, click the Edit menu > Find.
Carefully type-or copy and paste-the text E6FB5E20 into the "Find what" box,
and then click Find Next. When the key is located, double-click it, and then
click InProcServer32

h. Do one of the following, depending on your operating system:
. Windows NT/2000/XP
o In the right pane, double-click (Default)
o In the Value data field, change the text to the following:

%SystemRoot%\System32\webcheck.dll
o Click OK.
. Windows 95/98/Me
o In the right pane, double-click (Default)
o In the Value data field, change the text to the following:

Windows\System\webcheck.dll
o Click OK.
i. Exit the Registry Editor.

Additional information:

When W32.Novarg.A@mm sends email, it avoids distributing to the domains that
contain any of the following strings:
. avp
. syma
. icrosof
. msn.
. hotmail
. panda
. sopho
. borlan
. inpris
. example
. mydomai
. nodomai
. ruslis
. .gov
. gov.
. .mil
. foo.
. berkeley
. unix
. math
. bsd
. mit.e
. gnu
. fsf.
. ibm.com
. google
. kernel
. linux
. fido
. usenet
. iana
. ietf
. rfc-ed
. sendmail
. arin.
. ripe.
. isi.e
. isc.o
. secur
. acketst
. pgp
. tanford.e
. utgers.ed
. mozilla

accounts that match any of the following strings:
. root
. info
. samples
. postmaster
. webmaster
. noone
. nobody
. nothing
. anyone
. someone
. your
. you
. me
. bugs
. rating
. site
. contact
. soft
. no
. somebody
. privacy
. service
. help
. not
. submit
. feste
. ca
. gold-certs
. the.bat
. page

or accounts that contain any of the following strings:
. admin
. icrosoft
. support
. ntivi
. unix
. bsd
. linux
. listserv
. certific
. google
. accoun

The worm also prepends any of the following names to the domain name
obtained:
. adam
. alex
. alice
. andrew
. anna
. bill
. bob
. brenda
. brent
. brian
. claudia
. dan
. dave
. david
. debby
. fred
. george
. helen
. jack
. james
. jane
. jerry
. jim
. jimmy
. joe
. john
. jose
. julie
. kevin
. leo
. linda
. maria
. mary
. matt
. michael
. mike
. peter
. ray
. robert
. sam
. sandra
. serg
. smith
. stan
. steve
. ted
. tom

Revision History:
. January 27, 2004:
. Updated document with link to removal tool for W32.Novarg.A@mm.
. Updated alias information.
. Added reference to Symantec HIDS update.