-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Computer locks up..

  • From: HandsomeBlck@xxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 07:11:54 EDT

In a message dated 8/12/2007 9:43:41 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx writes:
> HB,
>   I understand that you don't use it for gaming, but some keyboards have
> extra buttons (for multimedia, email, internet access, etc.) that require
> special drivers that are installed by the manufacturer (if it's a pre-made
> system like yours) or yourself (if you built the PC).  The same goes for
> mice since mine has a special driver that gives me control over how the side
>
> button and scroll wheel are used.  If either of my drivers gets corrupted
> (and it has happened), I get all sorts of odd problems that seem to be
> unrelated to those two devices.  However, updating them fixed the problems.
> The fact that this started 'out of the blue' somewhat supports the idea of a
>
> defective driver, so that's why I'm pursuing this line of questions.
> :O)
>
>   And no, with 2GB worth, it's not a lack of RAM.
>
> Peace,
> GMan

GMan,
     The mouse doesn't have any additional keys - left/right buttons, and
scroll wheel. Keyboard has several buttons along and above the function keys,
of
which I've only used the mute button. CD/DVD eject buttons, volume/mute
buttons, media controls, search/hp club/internet/info/email, and a quarter moon
shaped thing. Device manager doesn't show any yellow question marks or
esclamation
marks. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

HB