-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Compacting OE Files

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 12:36:46 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glo" <redowl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 4:46 AM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Compacting OE Files

> Hello Don, I found the stores folder and when I click on a .dbx file it
> opens in wordpad and is for the most part not legible, lots of zeroes and
> symbols. Some open in MS Word, same thing.  My question, what is the point
> of keeping these files if they can't be read?  Or is this just what makes
> OE
> work? Just curious. ~Glo

These various dbx files hold all of your email messages and the folders.dbx
file keeps track of all the folders that you have created in Outlook
Express.

If you have deleted a folder from Outlook Express you can safely delete the
corresponding dbx file.

You can also delete the folders.dbx file anytime you want to or need to and
OE will rebuild it the next time you start it.

If you want to read the dbx files, it is teoretically possible... they are
nothing more than a database file.  The trick is finding a database program
that can read the dbx format.  Maybe MS Access????

Don