-=PCTechTalk=- Re: CleanUp! 4.0 released

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 22:01:19 -0400

I would suggest that you find ALL files and folders named TEMP or with a
.tmp extension.

Do that by searching for all files and folders and entering  "temp, tmp"
without the quotes, in the search box.

I get 152 hits.  You may get more or less.  Sort the results by TYPE to
group all of the folders together.

Examine the contents of each folder to see what is there.  Critical items
should be moved or copied to a folder that is NOT named TEMP.

Review all files that have a .tmp extension.  If you suspect that they are
critical items copy them to a CD or DVD or Floppy.

You will have a lot of files and folders with the search string in them that
can be ignored... like Templates.*.

It is impossible for me to tell you what to look for because I don't know
what programs you use or what file names and extensions are used by them.

However, as a general rule, these are some types of  files  _*might*_  not
belong in a temp folder:
(list is NOT all inclusive)

*.any graphic, media or artwork extension (jpg, gif, wmv, pps, bmp etc)
*.doc or other word processor document extension
*.db* or other database program extension
*.wk* or other spreadsheet program extension
*.ini or other windows system files

Check your system and software documentation to see what sort of files it
uses, which ones are critical and where they are stored.

Users that are NOT infallible might want to run Cleanup with Empty Recycle
Bins disabled.  Then they can review what got deleted and empty the recycle
bin manually.

Don