-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Case fan deal

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 01:34:28 -0400

Ah, but I have numerous objections to that last statement, Roger.      :O)

The purpose of fans is to move air.  The application of case fans is to
create a sort of 'wind tunnel' within the computer case by pulling cool air
into the case in the front and exhausting the heated air out the back.  For
this to work as efficiently as possible, there must be balance between the
push & pull.  To much intake will create a high pressure system that will
cause certain areas of the case to stagnate and eventually overheat.  Too
much exhaust creates more of a vacuum that will draw air into the case
through any crack or crevice it can find and severely weaken the 'wind
tunnel' in the process.  Both setups also cause the other side to work
harder than they should and lead to fans burning out before their time.

The best approach is to have an equal amount of air coming in and going out
without putting any undo strain on either end.  It's also a great idea to
make sure that wires, cables and such are as out of the way of the 'tunnel'
as possible so they don't impede the flow.  And, of course, it's also a good
idea to crack open the case once every 6 months or so and clean out the gunk
that's collected within, especially on the fan and heatsink fins.

Peace,
Gman