-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Can't restore Intel Indeo Video Codec 4.5

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 17:44:44 -0500

Hi Warren and congrats on the new toy!        :)

A lot of folks have run ashore with this problem.  It's not hard to fix, but
you might have to pay a little for the priviledge.  Allow me to explain.

The needed Indeo codec has always been bundled with Windows installations.
According to some research into the issue, it's supposedly still included in
Vista, but it's not registered by default for some strange reason.  If it's
present, here's how to get it recognized & working by Vista.

Go to Start > Run, type "cmd" (no quotes) and press Enter

type "regsvr32 ir50_32.dll" and press Enter

As long as you do not get an error (the error you might get is harmless),
the required DLL is now registered on Vista & you should be able to play the
videos.  If there's no error and the videos still won't play, reboot and try
again.

If you DO get an error telling you that the ir50_32.dll file could not be
found, the only way to get the official Indeo codec is to purchase a license
from Indeo directly.  There are some knock-off codecs available, but I'm
quite hesitant to recommend something I haven't tested, especially if it has
the capability of hosing your Windows install.

Peace,
Gman
http://www.bornagainamerican.org