-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Bebo

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 17:14:02 -0700

From what I saw from the link you shared..this is an email address book
online.

You enter your email address and you CAN allow certain other people to have
that information.  When you change your email address, their email address
books are updated.  The same goes if they change/update their email
addresses.

One  concern.... (besides someone making a mistake and saying yes too many
times and letting someone you do NOT know have your address..and when you
update with them... they could be email address harvesters....

is a biggie.

I gleaned their privacy statement..and this is a part of it.

".......You agree that we may use personal information about you to improve
our marketing and promotional efforts, to analyze site usage, improve our
content and product offerings, and customize the Site's content, layout, and
services. These uses improve the Site and better tailor it to meet your
needs, so as to provide you with a smooth, efficient, safe and customized
experience while using the Site.

You agree that we may use your personal information to contact you and
deliver information to you that, in some cases, are targeted to your
interests, such as targeted banner advertisements, administrative notices,
product offerings, and communications relevant to your use of the Site. By
accepting the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, you expressly agree to
receive this information. You may make changes to your email notification
preferences at any time. ....."

"...Advertisers. We disclose non-personally identifiable aggregated (gather
up data across all member accounts) information to advertisers and other
third parties. An example of non-personally identifiable information would
be 'the number of members aged 20-30'...."

"Acquisition. It is possible that as we continue to develop our website and
our business, Bebo's service and/or related assets might be acquired.
Notwithstanding any provision in this policy to the contrary, in event of a
merger or acquisition, your personal information may be transferred to the
acquiring entity, and become subject to the acquirer's data practices."

Sounds like you give them permission of send you email offers and
promotions..which..spells out SPAM in my mind.  This company may not give
our your address...but....COULD be an email harvester themselves.  They will
send you spam..instead of someone else sending it.  They gather your
demographic information and use it as a selling tool with companies.  They
agree to send a seller's ads to you..and will get paid for it.

It also sounds like they protected themselves.  It they decide to be bought
out (acquired) by another company, your information will go to the new
company..and you are the mercy of the practices of the new company...without
a say so.. after all, you were just warned.  And... (ok...I am not very
trusting) they could form a new corporation themselves..and buy out the Bebo
company..and now... do whatever they wish to.

I personally would NOT sign up.

I hope I was not too negative.. I am just tired of Spam and the folks who
feed off of it!

Rose

Las Vegas

Now I could be all wet, but I would NOT sign up for this.  I see NO upside
to it.

If you change your address... and do not tell me... oh well.....  It is NOT
worth it to me to keep an up to date email address on you..to get emails
from these guys,..