-=PCTechTalk=- Re: AV quarenteen

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:59:32 -0500

Once your computer is infected by a virus it is possible that a system
restore point could be created that would have the virus in it, just like it
would have various system data in it.

When you disable system restore, it deletes ALL previously made restore
points.  This is why it is suggested to disable system restore before
cleaning an infected system and to not turn it back on until you have a
clean machine again.

Also note, that many tech folks suggest running your scan/clean functions in
SAFE mode.  If an infected file is loaded and running during a cleanup
operation it may or not be properly cleaned/quarantined/deleted.  SAFE mode
sharply restricts the number of drivers, services and applications loaded
and thus sharply decreases the chance of such problems.

The last time I read suggestions on doing a scan and cleanup the advice was:

If your security software (anti - virus/spyware/adware/trojan/worm etc)
provides (or prompts you to create) a rescue disk, use it.  Otherwise...

1.  Disable system restore
2.  Reboot in SAFE mode
3.  Scan and clean system
4.  Reboot to Normal mode