-=PCTechTalk=- Re: 2 drives

  • From: <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:46:34 -0800

I am sure you will get better answers than mine..but here is my 2 cents
worth.

First wow!  Someone who has as much hard drive space as me!  Wow!

Congrats on the new puter.  Enjoy you new baby.  It is wonderful to start
with a brand new squeakily clean computer.  You have from now to Wednesday
to start thinking about how you want to organize it before you can actually
do that.  I am glad you are planning.  That is the most important step in
being organize and it makes it easier to stay that way if you have a plan
that works for YOU!

File things the way YOU think.  Sometimes, I will get a pretty graphic..and
am not sure where to file it.  (I have so many categories, flowers, food,
religious, winter, water, babies, butterflies and bugs, houses,
landscape..etc.  Sometimes a graphic could be in a few places..and I wonder
where to file it.  My answer... to myself...lol!  "If I were looking for
this picture, where would I look?"  That usually gives me my answer.  I
start thinking from the retrieving end..and then file it accordingly.  So,
only YOU knows where YOU should file something.  I sometimes could put a
graphic in more than one file.  Maybe it is a butterfly on a lily.  I might
file it in Butterflies & Bugs and also in Flowers>Lilies (yes, I have sub
categories of flowers..roses, ivy, trees, sunflowers, etc.)  I am almost
embarrassed to say I have 70,000+ graphics in over 1,000 file folders in my
general graphics directory.  Now I did not sit and create all these at one
time.  I saved these pics one at a time over the last 5+ years.  I also have
graphics collections I have purchased, but they are in a different
directory.  Some of those graphics are just background tiles to use for
stationery or web pages.  Some I have created, some I have collected.

Here is what I would do and have done:

First, I would partition each drive.  I will tell you pretty much how I have
mine..and why.and can take that info..and do what you will with it.

First..my first hard drive is 180 Gb.  My second internal drive is 120 gb.

I have an external 250 gb (and an 80 Gb external)

I partitioned the first drive - the 180 GB drive into partitions by
function:

C: is my System drive and I put nothing except Windows XP  on it
intentionally.  Whenever you install something, it makes entries on the
drive.    There are some rude programs which, either gave me no option
insisted on being on the C:  or I missed the opportunity to install it
elsewhere, and I leave them there.

My G: is Graphics.  I install all graphics related programs here.  I also
file some graphics I create here, but the majority are stored on my 80 GB
external drive.

My H: is Utilities.  I install all my Utilities here. (Partition Magic, Win
Zip, CleanUP, Norton Systemworks & Firewall, etc)

My I: is for Generic Programs.  I do categorize them on that drive.  - CD
Programs  DVD Programs - Music Programs, etc.  Then I install the programs
in sub folders in those category folders.

My J: is Fonts - I store all my fonts and fonts programs here.  I have tons
of them.  I belong to Glen's list and get a lot from him every week and have
cd's and other resources from which I have collected them.

My K: is Miscellaneous stuff.  I use it a lot for temporary stuff and also
for my.."Where the heck should I put this" file.

My Second Drive..which is my D Drive is the backup drive for all the above
drive letters.

I then store all my Graphics collections and work on my 80 GB external
drive.  All my graphics work in progress is also stored here.

I then use my 250 GB external drive to back up the 80 GB external drive, all
my Outlook Express backups (even the mail I have deleted from my C: as it
takes up too much ram.  (I do not backup mail I have deleted on a daily
basis ..like spam and general mail I do not want to/need to keep)  I
regularly backup my mail using Express Assistant.  This way I have all the
folders with my purchases, passwords, registrations, tech email like
Langualist, etc. bacled up and I can restore them very easily.  I do put
dates by my folder names when I delete them and create new ones.  This
way..should I want to restore my subscriptions folder, I am safe to do
it..as I know it will not overwrite the subscriptions folder I am currently
using.)

I also use this drive to backup by C:   This is redundant, but I use it to
back it up in case I accidentally mess something up and need to get a file
back.  I know all my drivers are backed up and life will go on.

Now, I am sure many of you think I am totally nuts, and maybe I am, but...
the voices in my head tell me I am ok. lol!

Judith,  the truth is.. do what works for you!  Make a plan and go for it!

Hope this helps a bit with your thinking process.

If I can help...holler!

Big hugs,
Rose