-=PCTechTalk=- Networking on Vista Laptop

  • From: "cajun12" <cajun12@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:29:46 -0500

Hello everyone.  I haven't been able to respond to something I wanted to
respond to because we just got hit with Hurricane Gustave and were without
electricity for 7 days, and cable and Internet just came on a couple of hours
ago.  I've been going to a friend's house every few days to download email to
my laptop, but haven't had a connection to respond.

Don was having problems getting a new Vista HP laptop to get an Internet
connection.  I just bought an HP laptop and mine had no trouble finding my
network and connection to both the network and the Internet.  I'm not having
this problem yet, but now I'm wondering if I'm going to.  It appears to be a
Vista problem.  I've perused some forums where several people with HP laptops
are having this problem, but not all are HP.  I've also seen people with Dell
and Sony Vaio laptops reporting problems.  The one thing they all have in
common are that they are all using VISTA, most using Vista Home Premium, but
not all.  I saw where at least one person was using Vista Ultimate.

There has been a ton of advice offered about this, such as:

Some suggest that for some reason the router seems to be refusing to assign a
DHCP address, or there is an IP conflict.  One person said that what worked for
them was disabling IPv6 and using IPv4 instead, and setting a DNS.  Another
said he disabled IPv6 and it didn't fix it for him.  I read one forum where a
person with a Dell only has the problem occasionally and said the only thing
that works for him is to uninstall and reinstall the adapter from Device
Manager.   Another said he could connect to an unsecure wireless router in his
building on the same laptop with Vista, but it would not connect to his own
Linksys WRT54G router.  He's wondering if it's something to do with his Linksys
brand router, but another person said they were having the same problem with a
Belkin router.  Several people appear to be reporting an unidentified network
with local access only.

One person said that when he first set up his wireless connection, it worked
fine for a few hours, then suddenly dropped the connection from Local &
Internet to Local Only.  But if he disconnected and re-connected to his
network, it worked fine.  Then he noticed that when he uninstalled the 60 day
trial of Norton Internet Security and installed Computer Associates Internet
Security Suite 2007 (newly updated for Vista), he could see the network but
could not connect to the Internet.  He thinks the new Computer Associates suite
that is supposed to be Vista ready really is not, uninstalled it, and his
connection came back.

This forum contains one of the most in-depth discussions and possible solutions
that I've seen:

http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=14072

This article about it points to two Microsoft solutions:
http://pcmusings.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!42B71883C19FDDAE!317.entry

Hope this helps somehow.  Not that I would understand half of this if it
happens to me.   : )

dj