-=PCTechTalk=- My VC are only AGP, and this doesn't have that, so I just bought a new MB - Thanks GMAN

  • From: "Rick" <union865@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 18:38:35 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: pctechtalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:pctechtalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gman
Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 5:19 PM
To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Squiggly lines in DOS and safemode, also when I
boot normally

That figures.  But at least it prevents us from having to keep guessing.

It leaves two possibilities, depending on how the system was built.  If
there's a slot inside that will accept an external graphics card, you can
probably try installing one yourself (if not, most any computer store has a
tech or two who can do it).  It will take researching exactly which cards
can be supported by the mainboard and then choosing from that list before
you can even get to the installation part of the equation.

On the other hand, if the board doesn't support external video cards, the
mainboard will have to be serviced professionally (to either replace a bad
graphics chip, if that's even possible, or to locate what could still be
just a loose wire or cable inside causing the lines) or the mainboard will
need to be replaced, which also should be done professionally since the
entire laptop will need to be completely disassembled just to get to the
board.

I'm certainly hoping that the board has support for the external card.

Peace,
Gman