-=PCTechTalk=- Loading NEW Computer - Acronis.

  • From: RMB White <roguer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:47:01 +1300

With all the new computers appearing on the list, I have also succumbed and
bought a Toshiba Satellite Pro L500 C2D.

.....BUT face difficulty in loading it with all the guff from my old
machine.

I backed up the Win 7 installed and used disk provided to load XP

Using Acronis I

1. partitioned it similar to the old,

2. and having backed up my old with Systate, and then Disks and Partitions

3. I then Restored to the new partitions.....AND the new machine had a
bilious attack and

a) gave "MBR Error 2" on booting

b) WGA told me my new Windows was NOT genuine

c) refused to update windows.... and scrambled all sorts of other things.

Having seen the error of my ways I have started the restore WITHOUT Systate,
then done Windows Update (successfully)
but I am unsure how to proceed .  I propose a "Files and Folders" restore
butpresume I should limit it to "DOCS", "Documents and Settings", "Program
Files", and maybe "Intelpro".  But NOT "WINDOWS", "AVG$Vault", "BOOTWIZ",
"System Volume Information" nor "Temp"

Is there an Order of Service which should be followed to minimise angst,
pain, frustration, spots before the eyes, itching between the toes and
slurred speech???

All helpful information GRATEFULLY received.

Roger W.

On 19/01/2010 12:09 a.m., Gman wrote: Hi Dolores, I haven't seen any replies
to this one, so I'll give it a shot. :) Answers can be found below Peace,
Gman http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php[1] "The entire future of
humankind is yet to be written" ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dolores"
<dshelham@xxxxxxxxxxx>[2] To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>[3] Sent: Sunday,
January 10, 2010 7:59 PM Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- question as to what I need
to hook up two computers I got a new computer with Windows 7 and my 'old'
onehas XP. I want to be able to use both of them until I can learn Windows
7.Right now the 'new' computer is still in the box and I'm on the 'old' one.
You may find it doesn't work as well 'in the box'. :D I did a google search
and ended up totally confushed. I ran Belarc on my old machine and it's not
showing that it has an ethernet card (which was one of the suggestions to
network two computers) but I know I had used it for wireless with a laptop I
had. But maybe one is entirely different from the other. Most modern systems
have the ethernet connection built right into the motherboard. This negates
the need for a separate card. So here's all my questions starting with the
basics :-) Do I need two monitors to run the two machines? two keyboards?
twomice? This depends. If you intend to only have the two systems running
fora limited time (until you are comfy enough with Win7), I would be more
inclined to suggest that you look for a quality KVM to connect a single
keyboard, mouse and monitor to both systems. The cost would much less than a
second set of peripherals and it will save you from needing twice the desk
space for those items.I use a 2 port LinksKey LKV-S02SK model and I love it.
Incidentally, all of the cables needed to use it came with the package. What
equipment do I need to buy to connect the two machines. I have cable for my
internet service. If you wish to connect the two together to allow for file
transfers, you will need either a router that contains more than one
ethernetport, a router that supports wireless (along with wireless
capabilityin at least one of the systems in question) or a switch. A switch
is the least expensive option, but does not contain the additional
protectionthat a router will provide (such as serving as a hardware firewall
to better isolate your computers from the internet baddies) When they are
networked together do both machines have to be on? Does each one have to
haveits own antivirus program? Yes, they both have to be on in order to
serveup or accept files being transferred betwen them. They each also
requiretheir own security programs. I have a zillion more questions but
thought I'd start with these. Thanks for any and all help. Dolores
Hopefully,the above replies cuts that number in half. :)
separate PCTableTalk off-topic group, send a blank email to:
pctabletalk+subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[10]
8.5.432 / Virus Database: 270.14.148/2629 - Release Date: 01/17/10 19:35:00

--- Links ---
   1 http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php
   2 mailto:dshelham@xxxxxxxxxxx
   3 mailto:pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx