-=PCTechTalk=- HELP!!!

  • From: "Larry Southerland"<larrysoutherland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 14:48:24 -0400

I've not been able to do a windows update for years.  I keep receiving an
error message.

I followed the error message to the M$ website and this was their
suggestion:

When accessing the Update site, you receive the 0x800A01AE error.

Last updated : 10/21/2005

Print  <javascript:window.print();> | Close  <javascript:window.close();>

Problem description

A required system file is not registered correctly.

Applicable operating systems

*                            Windows 2000

*                            Windows XP

*                            Windows Server 2003

Resolutions

1. Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below

1.                  Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

2.                  Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each
command.
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Attempt to run Windows Update

Did this resolve your problem?

The first program regsvr32 wuapi.dll returned an error code:
DllRegisterServer in wuapi.dll failed.  Return code was: 0x80070005

When I search that error, I get this:

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/30531738/update-halts-at-register
.aspx

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3551370
<http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3551370&SiteID=17>
&SiteID=17

I've tried several of the suggestions, but so far, no cigar..

Scanned by iolo AntiVirus 1.5.4.5
http://www.iolo.com