-=PCTechTalk=- General Comments

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:39:08 -0500

While I and many others here have been using, working playing or otherwise
gaining experience on computers for quite a while, it is, IMHO, unreasonable
to expect us to know everything necessary to help resolve problems with your
unique computer.

It would be extremely helpful if you would include information on your
computer... especially:

Approximate age of the computer
Brand name and model  (Dell Dimension 8300)
Any upgrades, repairs or add-ons since new
CPU (p-4 3.0MHz)
Operating System (WinXP Home SP2)
RAM  Quantity and type (512MB DDR2100)
CD or DVD (ROM or RW or +R or -RW etc)
Hard Drive  (IDE, EIDE, ATA, SATA etc)
Proprietary hardware or software (stuff that is unique or built to order for
a very specific purpose or only to fit or work with one brand of computer)

Also useful is various data about external devices or tweaking that may be
different from what might be considered a typical computer.  Examples would
be any wireless device, gaming equipment, overclocking, mixed speeds in RAM,
scanners, cameras, external drives of any sort.

Have you done any troubleshooting?  Tell us about it.
Did you Google search for the problem?  Have you checked the owners manual
Troubleshooting section?

What was the last thing you did to the computer before the problem occurred?
Are you the only person that might have done something to cause the problem?

What are the symptoms?  Was there an error message or dialog box?  What did
it say?  Are there any other problems?  Did they all happen at once or has
there been a slow accumulation of little things?

What is your experience level?  How simple do we have to write our replies?
Do you have a spouse, roommate or friend that is helping or can help you?
What is their experience level?

Thats a lot of questions and a lot of information.  Nobody expects
everything answer in every message but the more info you provide the more
likely you will get a reply.  Lack of information is the number one reason
why I don't reply to some messages.  My lack of an answer is second.

Don

Do YOU want a gmail account invitation?  Include your email address in the
body of a private message to dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx