-=PCTechTalk=- First Experience With The Geek Squad

  • From: "Suzanne Dunlap" <sdunlap3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 11:01:07 -0400

You've all heard about my problems with getting my Dell computer replaced.
I thought you'd enjoy this story about my first experience using The Geek
Squad from Best Buy, where we bought a HP computer several days ago.
My husband has been complaining about the 19" widescreen monitor not looking
right - it was kind of elongated The blue circles with the "back" and
"forward" arrows were oval instead of round.  I kept telling him to read the
Help section and see if he could find the answer, but he's a typical man -
can't ask for directions!  Finally I called The Geek Squad at Best Buy to
ask them about it.  They gave me an 800 number to call - I called it, talked
to one tech and he said he'd transfer me to a different dept.  Same thing
with that tech - she said I had to start with the "Mission Control"
department so they could set up my "new account".  When I explained the
problem to this last girl, she said that a tech could remotely make this
adjustment for
me for a charge of $49!  I told her no way - I just wanted the tech to walk
me through the adjustment and I'd do it myself!  Well, she said that also
would cost me $49 - I came close to really losing my temper after what I've
been through with Dell support the last few weeks!  I asked her just what
the heck we had paid for with the 3-year warranty that we bought.  She said
it covered hardware, power surges, etc. but not software problems.  I got so
mad I just told her to forget it and
called Best Buy again and this time talked to a salesman and explained what
was going on.  He told me he'd transfer me to the in-store Geek Squad again
and when I explained everything to the tech that I talked to, he
reluctantly told me that all I had to do was change the resolution to 1440 x
900 - the resolution it was set at was for a square monitor!  Can you
believe those jerks - oops, I mean Geeks, would not even tell me this little
tip without charging me $49!  I think maybe we've jumped out of the frying
pan into the fire - Dell might not be so bad after all!  Evidently, the Geek
Squad doesn't do the diagnostics over the phone like Dell does.  You have to
take the computer to them, I guess, and they fix it in the store. That's
okay if it's a hardware problem, but I've called Dell lots of times and had
minor problems fixed right over the phone.  Just another rip-off, it looks
like!

Also, I've been using Vista since Monday and I don't find it hard to use at
all.  I was so worried because I'd heard so many negative remarks about it.
I don't see that much of a difference, but I probably don't use it for the
same purposes that you advanced computer experts do.

Next week I should be getting my Dell replacement computer - I'm curious to
see if it is going to have everything on it that my old one did, including
the floppy drive that I need for my machine embroidery system.  The tech I
talked to said it would have the same specs as my old one, so we'll have to
wait and see.

Sue in Bridgeport, Mi.