-=PCTechTalk=- Eject USB fails

  • From: "RecklessMaverick" <recklessmaverick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 13:33:02 -0500

I use USB hard drives a lot.  When I select Eject Device Safely I always get
the device is in use error message.  However, there are no windows open, no
applications open in the taskbar and nothing in the systray area using the
device.

I reboot and the problem still exists even though there is nothing in the
startup menu and no autorun/autoplay dialog boxes open.

I have looked through the task manager and see nothing that might be using
the drive(s).

Is there a reason that Windows cannot identify what is actually using the
device?

Is there a utility that can?

Is there a way to force the system to close whatever and allow removal of
the hard drive?

Reboot to SAFE mode and everything ejects.  Obviously, some secret service
or process is starting during boot that opens the device and refuses to let
it close.  Time to install WinPatrol and see if it can identify it.

Don

in the Subject.