-=PCTechTalk=- EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error

  • From: Michael Schell <m.schell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 11:02:27 -0400

Hi,
I'm running Win98SE ; 512 RAM: IE 6: Java 2 runtime 1.4.0_01

When my wife accesses her favourite online game she frequently gets the
following error:

"An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the VM.
Unexpected Signal : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION occurred at PC=0x6D1B3B67
Function=[Unknown.]
Library=(N/A)

NOTE: We are unable to locate the function name symbol for the error
      just occurred. Please refer to release documentation for possible
      reason and solutions.

(Lots of tech-type stuff here which I didn't bother copying)

Dynamic libraries:
0x7CC00000 - 0x7CC1D000     C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IMAGEHLP.DLL"

I  researched this down to this:

 http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/error-handling.html  - which describes the
above error and says the following:

"Visual Studio limitation on Microsoft Windows 95/98 and NT

On Microsoft Windows 95, 98 and NT platforms, the error handler uses the
system's imagehlp.dll file to help determine the function name, source
file, and line number of a crash site. (Microsoft Windows 2000 and ME
use two files, imagehlp.dll and debughlp.dll to perform this task.)
However, the imagehlp.dll file in Microsoft Windows 95/98 and NT does
not work well with binary code and DLLs generated by Visual Studio 6.0.
This problem is due to a file-format change introduced in Visual Studio
6.0 and is described in detail on the Microsoft Product Support Services
web site along with Microsoft's recommended solution."

That's where my search ended as I couldn't find anything in Microsoft's
Product Support Services site. Could someone point me in the right
direction?

Thanks,
Mike

--
The older you get, the better you get, (unless you're a banana).