-=PCTechTalk=- Dial Up Connection

  • From: "Sandi Beach" <sandib2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pctechtalk" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 16:51:39 -0500

New problem, well new to be sent to you anyway.  My connection is coming up
erratically at various speeds.  Right now it is at 21.6 Kbps.  Earlier it
was at 24 and then at 26.4.  And my OE is getting an error message pretty
regularly saying it has encountered a problem and needs to shut down.  Then
it does.  I have noticed when connecting that I sometimes hear 2 pings
before it goes to verify my username and password.  Sometimes I have to
redial a couple of times or more to make the connection and when it finally
makes it I have these slow speeds.  It used to run pretty consistently at
26.4 to 28.8.  Once today I heard a voice come over the modem saying "your
call cannot be completed as dialed.  Please hang up and try your call
again."  This is a first.  I have never heard a voice through the modem
before.  Am I hallucinating or is my computer gremlins at work again??  And
the pings are new.  Never heard those before this week.  Nothing new has
been added in the way of software.
Local tech says the upgrades have absolutely nothing to do with the
connection.  I believe him but it is still a problem for me that I need help
in figuring out.  Any of you out there who use dialup have any idea?  Or had
any problems like this?  I have an external modem.  Is it possible that I
need a new one?
Sandi