-=PCTechTalk=- Cheap Software

  • From: ~OoO~ <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PCTechTalk <PCTechTalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:55:38 -0500

Since we were just recently talking about cheap software, and the possibility
of the offer being too good to be true...
>From Kim Komando's newsletter:

---BEGIN--

Q. I often get e-mail advertisements for OEM (original equipment
manufacturer) software at a fraction of the full retail price. The
ads come from Eastern Europe. They say this software is fully
functional and registrable. For example, Microsoft Office XP
Professional is offered for $100. This just seems too good to be legal.
What's the deal?

A. It sounds like the ads you're receiving are spam. I think you are
wise to question their legitimacy. Often, people who sell by spam take
your money and deliver nothing.

According to the Business Software Alliance, which combats piracy and
counterfeiting, these particular spams have become very common, very
suddenly. The Alliance believes they originate in Russia.

As a matter of policy, I never buy anything advertised through spam.
Even if the goods are legitimate and delivered, I don't want to
encourage spam.

In this case, the price sounds absurdly low. I found Office XP
Professional advertised for $265.99 online. That is less than half of
retail. Remember, such sellers have to buy the software from a
wholesaler or someone else. So I doubt that a $100 price is legitimate.

Software publishers in general, and Microsoft in particular, have
serious problems with counterfeiters overseas. I would bet that you
are being solicited by someone selling counterfeit goods. Even if
the program is delivered, Microsoft may not be willing to activate
it. Personally, I'd feel safer buying it from a legitimate seller on
the Internet.

Many sellers on the Web offer OEM software. These are programs
originally intended to be distributed with new computers. The
software packages are normally barebones. You get a CD, and maybe
a quick-start booklet. There's no manual, probably no packaging and
no technical support.

Companies selling OEM software sell the programs alone, or maybe
include a cable or other piece of hardware. The Business Software
Alliance says this is a gray legal area, since the software is intended
to be distributed with a computer. The OEM sellers say their business
is legal, since they are not bound by the agreements that computer
manufacturers make with software publishers.

The Business Software Alliance does not disagree. But it says that even
if the software is being sold legally, it probably is not being sold in
the manner intended by the publisher. Whatever, you are unlikely to
find a legitimate offer of Office XP Professional for $100.

See you tomorrow!
Kim :)

---END---

::: Troth :::