-=PCTechTalk=- $5 computer

  • From: "Jo Ann Weaver" <hillfarm3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 11:08:07 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

I just have to tell this story. I'm a veteran yard sale person. I went to a
sale yesterday morning. They had a 19 inch CRT Mag monitor labeled "works
great" for $20. Right beside it was a fairly new looking  Compaq tower
marked $5. They said the computer didn't work and was good only for parts. I
bought both for $20. Took them home and hooked the monitor to my main
computer. It has a great pic and I'm using it now. I hooked up the computer,
it powered up, but hung while loading Windows. I went into setup and
discovered it had a 40 gig Maxtor hard drive. Got out my Maxtor diagnostic
boot floppy and booted from it and run the tests which showed the drive was
ok and properly connected. Got out my Maxblast floppy and booted from it and
formatted and partioned the drive, but couldn't load Windows from it. Got
out my 98 boot disk, booted and loaded Windows from it. It is running fine.
It's a Compaq Presario 5000 with a 1.1 gig processor, 128 RAM and a CD-RW.
Will add more RAM, but I think I got a pretty good machine for 5 bucks. The
only problem right now is the onboard sound isn't working, but I think I can
figure it out. Just had to brag a little. For someone who had never touched
a computer four years ago, I am learning.

Jo Ann