[pcductape] Re: windows 95a was on a restricted network

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "DGrell7446@xxxxxxx" <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:47:10 -0500

Hi DGrell7446,

Dac>    Picked up an old 133 computer. Getting it ready for a
Dac> niece so she can do school work on it. However I am having some
Dac> problems, need some ideas.
Dac>    It appears that this computer was in a corporate
Dac> network, it has restrictions on the computer. ( I see things in
Dac> the computer that it was attached using Novell network software,
Dac> they used Lotus Notes, software like that for networks. )
Dac>    I need to correct the video driver, it will not let me
Dac> install new drivers. The error message says to contact the system
Dac> administrator. ( Boy this machine is really locked down from what
Dac> I have seen ) What do I need to do that will remove the
Dac> restrictions set by network administrator? Is there a log file
Dac> that is accessed for the restriction? ( Just guessing )
Dac>    I see that I need to correct the sound drivers too. ( yellow slam on
sound )
Dac>    OH Hey Bob, there is software that I will need to
Dac> uninstall too, it was installed over the network so I am sure
Dac> that the only way that I will get that out is to manually pick it
Dac> out of the registry. What I have tried to uninstall the error
Dac> message says that it cannot access the F: drive, there is no F:
Dac> drive unless they had the network server as the F: drive. Sure
Dac> appears that way.

For a Windows 9x system, that's impressive lockdown. It doesn't have
to be on a corporate network to have restrictions, though; it could
have been a small office and the system locked down to keep from
bleeding the budget due to having computer store repeatedly fixing
problems caused by people downloading and installing junk unrelated to

If you have a Win95 CD, I'd just identify all of the devices, try to
download drivers for them all and save them to a CD-R, then delete
everything and reinstall Windows. That way, you don't have to worry
about inherited problems. Plus, some hardware problems are best
detected by attempting to install Windows.