[pcductape] Re: win2k to XP and 98 network

  • From: "Pam" <ltf01@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 22:09:35 -0600

winipcfg doesn't work on Win2k.  ipconfig can only be run from the command
prompt and only tells me that it's IP is, subnet is, and default gateway is
If you type in cmd /k ipconfig / all at the run prompt it gives you more
information.   it tells me what type of nic, physical address, DHCP enabled
yes/no, DNS Servers..... but the DHCP Enabled says No.  It should say yes,

  Pam: Not enough info, when you do an ipconfig on 2000 machine and winipcfg
what do you see as IPs on both ?

    The Win2k box and the 98 box cannot connect to each other at all.  Even
when I ping one from the other it tells me Request timed out, when they
should atleast be able to do that much.

      So when you try to access what are you receiving as an error?

        ok, just checked, and that machine is still listed as an admin user
on this machine.

          The security of 2000  is nor bad (debateable), however, to be
accessed from 98 you usually have to go under control panel (2000 machine)
under users and add the 98 machine name as a user to be able to access the
2000 machine.

            I did the first time, but not again after I installed the new
card, if I were to need to.  And I don't remember where to go in Win2k to
look and make sure.

              Have you added the 98 user as a user with adimin rights to

                Hi all,
                Climbing back up from a bout of pneumonia, slow process but
definitely on the upside now.

                I'm ready to tackle my network problem if anyone is inclined
to offer a suggestion.

                The server is running Win2k.   2 clients, one running XP
Home, the other running 98.
                At one point all were communicating beautifully together.
                Then the 98 box decided that it would only connect
intermittently.  I've swapped nic's (same brand and type) but still unable
to connect.  I swapped slots today and now the nic has it's own IRQ.

                The XP box connected and continued with no problem until I
recently got a new, faster nic for the Win2k box.  I got it as far as being
able to share files but it cannot share ICS.  Obviously I've missed
something in setting the win 2k box back up.

                Any suggestions welcome,