[pcductape] Re: win2k to XP and 98 network

  • From: "Pam" <ltf01@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 23:08:02 -0600

>Hi Pam,
>Let's review.
>You have three machines hooked together, with 2k as the server and
>the others a
>98 and a xp.

Right

>It all worked once, than you got a new network card for the 2k machine.

Almost.  The 98 machine quit cooperating before the new nic.  I'm about
convinced that it's problem is a hardware problem of it's own.  I'm going to
make it last in line to address so that I KNOW that it's problem isn't
actually a problem on a different box.

>They will all share files, but now the ICS doesn't work at all on
>any of the
>machines.

Just the 2k server and the xp box right now can share files.  I've
disconnected the 98 box from the network until I get this problem solved
first.

>The fact that they share files means all the network stuff works on all the
>machines or this just wouldn't happen.

>So, I guess we are down to ICS. I would think we would have to
>start with the 2k
>machine as I think you stated earlier.
>
>Now, you did enable file and printer sharing on the dialup
>network, 2k machine?
>I think this needs to be done to share ICS. It should have been there from
>before you installed the new network card, but it doesn't hurt to check.

File and printer sharing working flawlessly between server and xp client IF
I set static IP on the xp box.

>I think the real problem might be something to do with the new
>cards ID number,
>which is internal, and is different from the old one, and this
>might be in some
>call that makes the ics thing work. I think you stated that you
>have removed and
>reinstalled till your blue in the face? :O)
>
>Have you removed all the network stuff in 2k, rebooted and reinstalled?
>Have you done this with the dialup networking stuff too?

What I installed and uninstalled was the networking stuff on the 98 box.  No
installing and uninstalling stuff on the 2k server and the client xp box.
Only thing was to replace the nic in the 2k server box.
With 2k, it doesn't forget info you give it for hardware.  For example, if I
were to place the old nic back into the 2k box it would remember all my
settings that I had for it without my redoing it. I wouldn't have to set it
up again.   I don't know how to tell it to forget settings for old hardware.
Soooo, your thoughts on the ID might be on target.