[pcductape] Re: win2k to XP and 98 network

  • From: "Pam" <ltf01@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 22:50:34 -0600

I don't recall running an ICS wizard when I set up the network the first
time, and no, I know I didn't rerun it after changing nics.  Do you happen
to know where to find this wizard?
The only thing I've ever done in the past is simply check a box that says
"Enable ICS......." which is located in the dial up properties.

  Did you rerun the ICS wizard after changing the NIC out?

    The machines are connected via a switch.  And currently they (the server
and the XP client) are communicating via static IP's.  ICS will not work
though with static IP's, hence the need to use DHCP, which allows connection
sharing.

    Pam

      A couple of questions.  First, are you connected via a hub sharing a
dialup connection through the Win2K box?  And second, why do you feel it
necessary to use DHCP?  Why not just use static IPs?

      Cheers!
      Sandi

        What you describe is pretty much what I understand too, and is what
I tried
        to accomplish.  But it isn't doing what it's suppose to do.  Was
hoping for
        someone to be able to go over the settings with me and find what I'm
        obviously not doing right.
        Since the loss of ICS with the XP machine occurred when I changed
nic's in
        the server machine I can only assume the problem is in my new setup
on the
        new nic.

        As for the 98 box..... that's going to be a different kind of
problem.
        I think I need to make sure teh 2k box CAN network properly with the
XP box
        before I tackle a box that has other problems too.

        But for tonight I gotta call it a night.  Not back up to full speed
yet.

        Thanks everyone for your input so far.

        Pam

GIF image