[pcductape] Re: win2k to XP and 98 network

  • From: "Pam" <ltf01@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 21:51:26 -0600

The Win2k box and the 98 box cannot connect to each other at all.  Even when
I ping one from the other it tells me Request timed out, when they should
atleast be able to do that much.

Pam

  So when you try to access what are you receiving as an error?

    ok, just checked, and that machine is still listed as an admin user on
this machine.

      The security of 2000  is nor bad (debateable), however, to be accessed
from 98 you usually have to go under control panel (2000 machine) under
users and add the 98 machine name as a user to be able to access the 2000
machine.

        I did the first time, but not again after I installed the new card,
if I were to need to.  And I don't remember where to go in Win2k to look and
make sure.

        Pam

          Have you added the 98 user as a user with adimin rights to the2K?

            Hi all,
            Climbing back up from a bout of pneumonia, slow process but
definitely on the upside now.

            I'm ready to tackle my network problem if anyone is inclined to
offer a suggestion.

            The server is running Win2k.   2 clients, one running XP Home,
the other running 98.
            At one point all were communicating beautifully together.
            Then the 98 box decided that it would only connect
intermittently.  I've swapped nic's (same brand and type) but still unable
to connect.  I swapped slots today and now the nic has it's own IRQ.

            The XP box connected and continued with no problem until I
recently got a new, faster nic for the Win2k box.  I got it as far as being
able to share files but it cannot share ICS.  Obviously I've missed
something in setting the win 2k box back up.

            Any suggestions welcome,