[pcductape] Re: win2k to XP and 98 network

  • From: "Pam" <ltf01@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 09:59:28 -0600

The machines are connected via a switch.  And currently they (the server and
the XP client) are communicating via static IP's.  ICS will not work though
with static IP's, hence the need to use DHCP, which allows connection
sharing.

Pam

  A couple of questions.  First, are you connected via a hub sharing a
dialup connection through the Win2K box?  And second, why do you feel it
necessary to use DHCP?  Why not just use static IPs?

  Cheers!
  Sandi

    What you describe is pretty much what I understand too, and is what I
tried
    to accomplish.  But it isn't doing what it's suppose to do.  Was hoping
for
    someone to be able to go over the settings with me and find what I'm
    obviously not doing right.
    Since the loss of ICS with the XP machine occurred when I changed nic's
in
    the server machine I can only assume the problem is in my new setup on
the
    new nic.

    As for the 98 box..... that's going to be a different kind of problem.
    I think I need to make sure teh 2k box CAN network properly with the XP
box
    before I tackle a box that has other problems too.

    But for tonight I gotta call it a night.  Not back up to full speed yet.

    Thanks everyone for your input so far.

    Pam

GIF image