[pcductape] Re: win2k to XP and 98 network

  • From: "Bob Noble" <bnoble@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 22:36:56 -0800

Hi Pam,
From what I'm reading in xp help about this.
You need to run the xp network wizard on all machines to help you setup the
network properly.

They say to use the xp wizard on all machines because it is the latest.
You put it on a diskette and run it on your server machine first.

Below, copied from help.  The ICS computer starts it all out.

In addition, the ICS host computer manages network addressing. The ICS host
computer assigns itself a permanent address and provides Dynamic Host
Configuration Protocol (DHCP) to ICS clients, assigning a unique address to each
ICS client, therefore providing a way for computers to communicate with other
computers on the network

So, the wizard needs to be run on the server first, than the other machines.
I would put the machines in assign ip address automatically before running he
wizard, just in case.  The wizard will assign a ip address to your server.

To get wizard you might have to run it by setting up a small office network in
xp or I can send it to you as I have it on a diskette.