[pcductape] Re: win2k to XP and 98 network

  • From: "Bob Noble" <bnoble@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 21:58:57 -0800

Hi Pam,
The info can be typed into xp help to find out what it means.
That is the problem though. :O)

From what I've learned about dhcp, if you set the network card to obtain an ip
address automatically, it should default to using dhcp if possible.
That is the way it says it is in xp.

So, from what I can discern, you would set all the network card settings to get
an ip address automatically.
Have you tried that and when you do, do you get an errors in the event viewers
especially on the server machine?

For instance, mine told me an assigned ip address was out of range.
For some stupid reason it assigned an ip address that was out of it's set range,
which I didn't set. It set the range. It said to reset the range.

Also, you indicate your ip addresses are 192. 68. instead of what's normally
used 192.168  which I don't think is the problem.  They all should be the same
though.