[pcductape] Re: win2k to XP and 98 network

  • From: "Pam" <ltf01@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 22:31:22 -0600

I don't know how to answer your first question.  Perhaps that is part of my
problem?

as for the 98 machine, winipcfg tells me that I have assigned it IP address
of 192.68.0.10, subnet 255.255.255.0.

  What are you using to assign dhcp? If you do a winipcfg on the 98 machine
what do you see as an ip?

    I would prefer to use dhcp.  It is my understanding that is the only way
ICS will work.  At the moment, I can connect the XP box to the 2k box, but
only if I assign an IP.  From what I understand, without using dhcp I would
have to assign IP's to all clients.
    As for static IP on the 2k box..... explain more.  If I understand what
you are asking it was always static.  Doesn't the server have to be static?

    Pam

      Are you using dhcp or are you assigning static IP's

        winipcfg works on the  98 machine, not on the 2000 machine which you
need to use ipconfig,  from what you are describing it appears you may have
a static IP in the 2000 machine, have you made sure you don't have that. :>)

          winipcfg doesn't work on Win2k.  ipconfig can only be run from the
command prompt and only tells me that it's IP is 192.68.0.1, subnet is
255.255.255.0, and default gateway is 192.68.0.1.
          If you type in cmd /k ipconfig / all at the run prompt it gives
you more information.   it tells me what type of nic, physical address, DHCP
enabled yes/no, DNS Servers..... but the DHCP Enabled says No.  It should
say yes, right?

          Pam

            Pam: Not enough info, when you do an ipconfig on 2000 machine
and winipcfg what do you see as IPs on both ?

              The Win2k box and the 98 box cannot connect to each other at
all.  Even when I ping one from the other it tells me Request timed out,
when they should atleast be able to do that much.

              Pam

                So when you try to access what are you receiving as an
error?

                  ok, just checked, and that machine is still listed as an
admin user on this machine.

                    The security of 2000  is nor bad (debateable), however,
to be accessed from 98 you usually have to go under control panel (2000
machine) under users and add the 98 machine name as a user to be able to
access the 2000 machine.

                      I did the first time, but not again after I installed
the new card, if I were to need to.  And I don't remember where to go in
Win2k to look and make sure.

                      Pam

                        Have you added the 98 user as a user with adimin
rights to the2K?

                          Hi all,
                          Climbing back up from a bout of pneumonia, slow
process but definitely on the upside now.

                          I'm ready to tackle my network problem if anyone
is inclined to offer a suggestion.

                          The server is running Win2k.   2 clients, one
running XP Home, the other running 98.
                          At one point all were communicating beautifully
together.
                          Then the 98 box decided that it would only connect
intermittently.  I've swapped nic's (same brand and type) but still unable
to connect.  I swapped slots today and now the nic has it's own IRQ.

                          The XP box connected and continued with no problem
until I recently got a new, faster nic for the Win2k box.  I got it as far
as being able to share files but it cannot share ICS.  Obviously I've missed
something in setting the win 2k box back up.

                          Any suggestions welcome,