[pcductape] Re: win2k to XP and 98 network

  • From: "Pam" <ltf01@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 22:23:12 -0600

I would prefer to use dhcp.  It is my understanding that is the only way ICS
will work.  At the moment, I can connect the XP box to the 2k box, but only
if I assign an IP.  From what I understand, without using dhcp I would have
to assign IP's to all clients.
As for static IP on the 2k box..... explain more.  If I understand what you
are asking it was always static.  Doesn't the server have to be static?

  Are you using dhcp or are you assigning static IP's

    winipcfg works on the  98 machine, not on the 2000 machine which you
need to use ipconfig,  from what you are describing it appears you may have
a static IP in the 2000 machine, have you made sure you don't have that. :>)

      winipcfg doesn't work on Win2k.  ipconfig can only be run from the
command prompt and only tells me that it's IP is, subnet is, and default gateway is
      If you type in cmd /k ipconfig / all at the run prompt it gives you
more information.   it tells me what type of nic, physical address, DHCP
enabled yes/no, DNS Servers..... but the DHCP Enabled says No.  It should
say yes, right?

        Pam: Not enough info, when you do an ipconfig on 2000 machine and
winipcfg what do you see as IPs on both ?

          The Win2k box and the 98 box cannot connect to each other at all.
Even when I ping one from the other it tells me Request timed out, when they
should atleast be able to do that much.

            So when you try to access what are you receiving as an error?

              ok, just checked, and that machine is still listed as an admin
user on this machine.

                The security of 2000  is nor bad (debateable), however, to
be accessed from 98 you usually have to go under control panel (2000
machine) under users and add the 98 machine name as a user to be able to
access the 2000 machine.

                  I did the first time, but not again after I installed the
new card, if I were to need to.  And I don't remember where to go in Win2k
to look and make sure.

                    Have you added the 98 user as a user with adimin rights
to the2K?

                      Hi all,
                      Climbing back up from a bout of pneumonia, slow
process but definitely on the upside now.

                      I'm ready to tackle my network problem if anyone is
inclined to offer a suggestion.

                      The server is running Win2k.   2 clients, one running
XP Home, the other running 98.
                      At one point all were communicating beautifully
                      Then the 98 box decided that it would only connect
intermittently.  I've swapped nic's (same brand and type) but still unable
to connect.  I swapped slots today and now the nic has it's own IRQ.

                      The XP box connected and continued with no problem
until I recently got a new, faster nic for the Win2k box.  I got it as far
as being able to share files but it cannot share ICS.  Obviously I've missed
something in setting the win 2k box back up.

                      Any suggestions welcome,